The Chinese drone manufacturer DJI and FLIR, an Oregon based firm specializing in advanced thermal imaging, announced a collaboration. DJI Inspire 1 and Matrice 100 drones can now be equipped with the Zenmuse XT camera which couples DJI’s gimbel and image transmission functions with thermal imaging technology developed by FLIR. With this development DJI, a company considered to be the leader in consumer drones, is expanding its efforts in enterprise space.
DJI’s Inspire and Matrice drones now have sophisticated imaging capabilities that have applicability to a number of industries including agriculture, fire fighting, search & rescue, and industrial inspection (e.g. power lines, solar panels).
DJI claims that the Zenmuse XT can be controlled completely through the DJI GO app, providing a real-time, low latency view of what the camera sees, and instant access to core camera functions including:
- Spot metering, temperature measurement at the mid-point
- Digital zoom
- Single or interval shooting modes
- Photo, video preview and download
- Take photos while recording video
- Various camera settings and parameters including:
- – Palette, also referred to as Look-up Table (LUT)
- – Scene, also referred to as Automatic Gain Correction (AGC)
- – Region of Interest (ROI)
- – Isotherm mode
“FLIR and DJI today support many of the same commercial applications,” said Andy Teich, President and CEO of FLIR. “FLIR is thrilled to work with DJI to deliver these customers a plug-and-play thermal imaging solution for DJI’s established ecosystem of unmanned aircraft and related apps while expanding our collective opportunities in the rapidly-growing commercial drone market.”
You can learn more about the Zenmuse XT here.