New products from DJI usually come with plenty of hype and fireworks. But Storm, the manufacturer’s custom aerial cinematography service already live in China, has gone completely under the radar.
In part that’s because Storm isn’t exactly a mass-market service. As well as a monster drone far beyond anything DJI currently sells, Storm comes with its own production crew. That kind of expense is going to limit its appeal to high-budget professional filmmakers and media teams.
Storm is also a niche service that could directly compete with many of DJI’s professional customers, so that might be another reason we’ve only discovered it by accident.
What is DJI Storm?
- The heavy-duty drone is operated under the banner of DJI Studio. The drone has eight propellers and is designed for the heavy lifting of professional cinema gear.
- The platform integrates a Ronin 2 PTZ gimbal which can carry up to 18.5kg of professional movie cameras and lenses. Storm can be used with DJI masters’ wheel and somatosensory controllers.
- In terms of performance, DJI says the drone can reach speeds of 50mph and operate for between 8-25 minutes, depending on the payload. It can handle a huge temperate range of -10 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius.
- Can be equipped with a movie machine (partial) RED DSMC2 ARRI ALEXA Mini | SXT | LF Sony Venice
- Optional lens (partial) Cooke ANA | S7 ARRI MA | SP | MP | Alura Zoom
- Image transmission system: LightBridge 2 digital image transmission | maximum communication distance 2 km
- Maximum payload: 18.5 kg
- Hover time: 15 minutes (12 kg payload) | 25 minutes (no load)
- Maximum horizontal flight speed: 60 km / h (GPS mode) | 80 km / h (Sport mode)
In short, Storm aims to be the missing link between the drone industry and the professional cinematography industry. It can carry various popular cinema cameras and lenses with the support of Ronin 2, Master Wheels, or Force Pro.
View this post on Instagram
Our biggest thanks to everyone who stopped by to see the latest in aerial cinematography and audio recording technology at the Helinet Aviation booth. We could not have had such a successful event without the support of our good friends and industry visionaries @vincentlaforet @shotovercamera @djiglobal @djipro @hudson.spider @dotterel_uav @phoenixlidar @indemnis_ @ignitedigiaustralia @fujinonlenses Stay tuned for what’s to come from Helinet Aviation as we continue to bring the Motion Picture, Television and Commercial industry the most advanced, reliable aerial solutions the world has to offer. #Repost @helinetaviation ・・・ @cine_gear_expo Los Angeles 2019 has officially began! Come and hang out with us in the B-Tank Booth 106. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #Helinet #Production #CineGear2019 #ProductionServices #Drones #DJI #DJIStorm #2019cinegearexpola #CameraGear #FilmGear #SHOTOVER #Ronin2 #SHOTOVERK1 @k2_larosa @helinetdrones @chad_daring @broby_thimpson @bruno_04cl7